Blackburn Darwen and District Womens Aid provides safe, emergency accomodation for women and children fleeing domestic abuse.
The purpose built supported accomodation consists of either self contained flats or houses. The accomodation aims to ensure the safety of women and children and support them into independant living. Support workers are fully trained and experienced and work with families on an individual basis to meet their needs.
Safety is of paramount importance so the accomodation units have 24 hour CCTV in operation and on-call staff around the clock.
What do we offer in the refuge?
- an environment which promotes the safety of women and children
- ongoing action planning and support and goal setting through individual development programmes
- aid and empower independant living
- provide links with the local community
- weekly house meetings
- weekly breakfast support groups
- access to the Freedom Programme
- access to the Recovery Toolkit
- regular coffee mornings
- children's house meetings
- BME support
- access to counselling
- support to access independant housing/ correct welfare
- support through the criminal/ civil justice system
- advocacy and liaison with other agencies
- support with children and parenting issues
- enclosed outdoor play area
Access to the refuge can be self referrals or by other agencies. An in-depth assessment will take place to ensure that the refuge option is the best to meet the needs of the family. We accept single women and women of all ages. If you are in an abusive relationship and or planning to leave see Safety Planning for advice.